OpenText™ is The Information Company™. We devote our energy, focus and talent to helping our customers manage their enterprise information. It’s as simple as that.
Of course, in the Digital Age, nothing is actually simple. That’s why we stay focused, to help our customers with the hard stuff – managing their enterprise information efficiently and securely – so they are freed up to drive business and pursue success.
Case in point, today OpenText launched Release 16 Enhancement Pack 4 (EP4), which offers improvements in key areas that we believe are becoming vital to our customers’ success: Artificial Intelligence, Internet of Things, security, cloud, and developer. This release also provides significant improvements to user productivity and experience.
OpenText Magellan™ is a flexible analytics platform powered by Artificial Intelligence (AI) that brings together advanced business intelligence and machine learning into a single, easy-to-use, open environment. Use cases for Magellan range from text mining to visualization and predictive analytics.
EP4 enhances our AI capabilities by introducing:
- Extended data connecting and loading options for analysts and business users
- A deeper utilization of Hadoop and Spark for data processing and machine learning
- Native integrations into OpenText EIM solutions such as Documentum™, Content Server, Archive Center and eDocs for integrated content mining
Internet of Things
The OpenText Covisint IoT Platform helps companies manage their digital ecosystems and securely connect people, systems and things. It offers large industrial companies the real-time visibility they need of their enterprise information across different business networks to help them make better business decisions.
- IoT developers are empowered with the Covisint IDE to configure events, rules and processes
- Fog computing enhancements, tracking and the ability to define behaviors of secure ecosystems accelerate the development of IoT solutions
- Integrated security features enable rapid creation of highly secure, vertical-specific solutions
Cybersecurity vulnerabilities represent a real and present threat to today’s digital organization. Intelligent and connected enterprises must effectively use, protect, and steward their information in a secured manner. EP4 enhances protection of these assets from threats and data breaches.
Security enhancements in EP4 include:
- Bi-directional Splunk integration, Snapshot Comparison, and other new tools to automate and expedite incident response in OpenText EnCase™ Endpoint Security
- Apple File System (APFS) support, broader foreign language support, ability to discover more deleted and hidden data, updated encryption support, and a faster, more scalable index for corporate and government forensic investigations in OpenText EnCase Forensic and Endpoint Investigator
EP4 makes it easier for organizations to move to the hybrid or fully managed cloud environment that is right for them. New cloud connectors continue to place the OpenText ecosystem at the center of digital business while seamlessly working with the best-in-breed technologies in asset and resource management, operations, content creation, and content collaboration.
Examples of cloud enhancements in EP4 include:
- File sharing and collaboration with OpenText Core for Content Suite and Documentum enables secure sharing of content with users inside and outside of the firewall.
- A fully featured cloud fax and notifications portal in OpenText Business Network
- Enhanced cloud capabilities and cloud readiness in Content Services streamline deployment and simplify administration
- New cloud to cloud connectors in Discovery for Microsoft® 365 Exchange® and SharePoint®
OpenText provides tools for a global community of developers that are creating Enterprise Applications with the OpenText Enterprise Information Management (EIM) Suite. For the developer, 16.4 will see the breadth and depth of low-code development expand with additional out-of-the-box integrations to OpenText products and a unified application development environment across AppWorks™. It is on this low-code platform that OpenText is delivering applications such as People Center, Contract Center and Legal Center to address specific EIM needs of our customers.
EP4 also provides:
- Expanded developer support with new developer documentation, guides and how-tos and Dutch run-time environment translation support
- Basic REST support for all current SOAP APIs in the platform allows greater flexibility
- Support for Docker containers and the Realm database
- Further enhancements to the EIS connector framework allows connections to external systems, such as SAP® and Salesforce®
User productivity and experience
The different components of Release 16 EP4 also feature a wide range of enhancements designed to improve user productivity and experience. Among them are:
- Experience Suite – enhanced execution of omnichannel communications in Exstream (including improved orchestration for automated tracking, analysis and response), a new forms engine in TeamSite™ for customer data collection, and the ability to author and manage forms for omnichannel use with improved mobile and integrated form access
- Business Network – expanded customer self-service for control and configurability, including a unique Trading Partner Graph feature, accounts payable process automation to non-EDI partners with the OpenText Active Orders and Active Invoices with Compliance bundle, and improved process control with inactivity alerting and B2B process exception management
- AppWorks – improved performance and scalability, a simplified user interface and new integrations that enhance content management capabilities to drive intelligence process automation
- Content Services – extensive updates to web and mobile UIs for all offerings make it easier for users to focus on their task at hand while integrations with leading applications further enable our customers to leverage content to fuel their business processes while automating the capture of the metadata required to effectively and transparently govern information in an increasingly complex regulatory landscape. For example, in Extended ECM for Government we have added a new user interface mode that supports accessibility requirements, ensuring that key public sector working regulations are met and supporting inclusivity of all users
- Analytics – additional big data analytics capabilities leveraging Hadoop and Spark, new connectors into many EIM systems and simplified customization of the analytics and mining engine to work within a unique context
- Discovery – eDiscovery usability enhancements in Axcelerate and Snapshot Compare and bi-directional Splunk integration in EnCase Endpoint Security to help cybersecurity teams automate and expedite incident response
Our mission, as The Information Company, is to enable intelligent and connected enterprises that inspire a new way to work. We believe this release brings us closer to that goal. I’ve mentioned just a few of the new capabilities in EP4, find out more here.