Technology is rapidly changing how public sector organizations work and serve citizens. Those governments that make strategic decisions to embrace these technologies will discover real benefits in terms of efficiencies, productivity and citizen-engagement, better and smarter ways of working for employees and new abilities to do more with less.
At OpenText™ Enterprise World 2019 in Toronto on July 9-11, we will have a specific track dedicated to addressing the challenges and uncovering the opportunities currently facing government and public sector organizations. This dedicated public sector track will help attendees to create digital strategies that maximize the benefits of being intelligent and connected organizations.
Modernization of government services
What’s the biggest trend affecting the public sector today? Modernization of services. Citizens expect the same – or similar – experience when dealing with governments as they have become used to as consumers – always-on access to information and services, options for personalization, seamless support across multiple channels and much more. People now want a similar experience when they go to renew their driver’s license or apply for a building permit as they would get from their bank or online grocer.
Another technology driving change across governments is the Internet of Things (IoT). This includes all the connected sensors and other devices being deployed across smart cities around the world, such as smart energy meters and smart traffic lights. These technologies are doing more than helping governments to provide faster, smarter and more automated services – they’re also generating a wealth of new data that public-sector organizations can use to improve the services to citizens.
This means the public sector now faces the challenge of having to make sense of even more information and data, and to use these new data sources in more and more innovative ways. In order to create order – and insight – from this information channels, forward-thinking organizations are looking to advanced data analytics, AI and machine learning to analyze the information for insights into what services are needed, what can be improved and what needs urgent attention.
Of course, doing all this can be difficult for public sector organizations, which tend to depend on legacy IT systems. These older, high-maintenance systems typically require a lot of investment simply to keep running with 80 percent of IT budgets typically going to operations and maintenance alone. This leaves government agencies with only 20 percent is left for innovation and wrestling with the question: how can they modernize and innovate when there’s not enough money to build new IT systems from scratch?
The move to the cloud
Cloud migration offers a solution. With the growing availability of numerous cloud-based applications designed specifically for its needs, the public sector now has an option for modernizing IT systems without the upfront expense of major infrastructure overhauls. And ongoing advancements in cloud security make it possible for governments to consider such solutions knowing that their concerns about privacy, confidentiality and data protection are being addressed.
How can governments tackle these challenges?
During Enterprise World in Toronto in July, we’ll be running a dedicated Public Sector track, providing attendees with insight into the advanced technology solutions that OpenText has developed for the public sector. Specific in-depth session will explore the latest features in OpenText™ Extended ECM for Government, which enables users to manage content easily across their organizations, eliminating data silos and breathing a new digital life into information that might have previously been lost in boxes or filing cabinets. We will also be running sessions on OpenText™ AppWorks, a low-code development platform that simplifies the process of building new applications and automating processes for modern, more efficient ways of working.
In addition to deep-dive sessions, Enterprise World will also feature a number of specific public sector industry forums where public sector users will share experiences of the current trends, and their real-life use cases for modernization, IoT, analytics, cloud and other technologies.
We will be running over 200 breakout sessions at Enterprise World this July in Toronto. For information on the specific Public Sector sessions, please click here.
Join us at Enterprise World in Toronto and find out more about how Enterprise Information Management (EIM) can help to extract greater value and insights from your information and transform your government and citizen services.