Meet Samiullah Syed, Solution Architect from Hyderabad, India. Samiullah plays a huge role in helping our customers succeed. In this post, he talks about what life is like as a Solution Architect, gives us a glimpse into his latest implementation project with a major information services customer, and shares his favorite parts about working in Hyderabad.
Tell us about your career journey thus far; how did you arrive here at OpenText?
It’s been 5 years since I joined the OpenText family on the Professional Services team. Started out as Lead Consultant, then promoted to Principal Consultant. Now, a Solution Architect responsible for developing and delivering OpenText Capture-based solutions.
What does it mean to be a Solution Architect?
I’m responsible for making some of the bigger decisions around the nature of our solutions. Throughout the life cycle of a project, I provide recommendations that impact the selection and use of our technology and approach. It starts with a conceptual ‘vision’ and evolves into a more concrete piece of architecture.
Here are some of the things I do on a daily and weekly basis:
- Pre-sales support
- Target and support to convert Proof of Concepts (PoCs) into projects
- Support and handle cross-functional projects
- Ensure high-quality deliverables from our PS OpenText Capture Center projects
- Mentor/train/provide technical help to junior colleagues
- Conduct Knowledge Transfer (KT) sessions within/outside of the team
You recently worked with DHL on an exciting project. Can you tell us a little bit more about that?
We recently completed a pilot for one of our large, global information services customers. Our Invoice/Remittance Advice capturing solution allows their operations in Malaysia, Singapore and Australia to more effectively and efficiently process incoming remittance advices sent in from customers around the world. They are so delighted with this solution that they’re planning to roll this out to even more countries and they’ve already assigned OpenText to another exciting implementation project.
For our first project with this customer, I was one of the Lead Architects responsible for developing this solution. My team worked collaboratively with the Business Network team, which ended up being a highly successful partnership. As a result, our teams will be working together on more projects with some impressive brands in the pharmaceutical, financial, and technology industries!
What’s your favorite part about living and working in Hyderabad?
I cannot even count all of the reasons why I love living and working in Hyderabad! I will try to list a few…
- For the third consecutive year in a row, Hyderabad has been named as the city with the best quality of living in India, according to Mercer’s Quality of Living rankings
- Hyderabad is the perfect blend of modern and traditional, and it’s filled with so much rich culture
- Great food only available in Hyderabad: Biryani and Haleem
- We have a beautiful office building here in the Mindspace IT Park; I love coming to work every day!
What do you like to do outside of work? Any special hobbies or interests?
I love spending quality time with my family, reading books, cooking, gardening and exploring nature. I’m also very passionate about supporting causes that provide underprivileged people with a better quality of life.