Hot air balloons, with their bold colors and incredible designs, are beautiful even when tethered to the ground. But, their real glory isn’t realized until they launch — soaring unbound into the sky. Tethered, they are beautiful, but soaring they are magnificent.
In a similar way, some organizations possess incredible potential, but remain tethered. What holds them down? Many are overwhelmed by content chaos. This occurs as growing volumes of information become scattered throughout their organization in shared drives, intranets, extranets, cloud repositories, or stored on desktops. Unintegrated, unsecured, and unindexed — their information becomes difficult to find and use.
If this scenario sounds familiar, you’re not alone. Many organizations today battle content chaos, as cited in these statistics:
- On average, 35–50 percent of the information available within an enterprise is not centrally stored or indexed.
- Today’s knowledge worker spends 1.8 hours a day, almost 20 percent of their work week, searching for documents. They cannot find what they are looking for 15 percent of the time.
- Not being able to find documents they know exist (82 percent) and version control (78 percent) are listed as the most frustrating document problems.
- Seventy-three percent admit half of their content probably has no business value, but they don’t know which half. As a result, 32 percent have a “keep everything” approach to deletion.
- One in five organizations are spending more than 25 percent of their IT budget adding and maintaining storage. The average is 16 percent.
Clearly, these organizations are constrained and hindered by content that has grown scattered and unruly. The significant and growing costs related to content chaos are well documented — from productivity loss, increasing and expensive storage, to non-compliance penalties and more.
The solution? Well-managed information not only reduces these costs, but also gives the organization a competitive edge.
The Potential of Well-Managed Information
Business leaders are realizing that the increasing supply and availability of information can (and must) be used for competitive advantage, value generation, and transformation. A recent study found that 95 percent of organizations correlate strong information management with business success.
To unlock the value of information, however, it must exist in a state of control — centralized, organized, easy to find, the latest version, accessible to those who need it, and to no one else. Controlled information is easy to locate and use. It flows seamlessly across business processes and workflows, satisfying customers, completing transactions, driving revenue. It can be shared easily and securely. It can be harvested for customer, market, and operational insights.
The time has come to control and leverage your information — and keep up with those who do.
Get Started Cutting those Ropes.
Enterprise Content Management (ECM) solutions bring structure and control to fast growing libraries of information. At the foundation of every ECM solution is a Document Management repository into which your valuable information is saved—ensuring it is managed, secured, and easily accessible.
As a leading ECM solution for the Windows desktop, OpenText™ eDOCS boasts industry-leading user adoption levels by offering intuitive, easy-to-use methods for managing information. eDOCS has thousands of unique customers, millions of users worldwide, and is backed by an extensive support and partner network. It can be deployed on premises, in a private cloud, or hybrid.